“To change the world, you have to change the menu first”
Slow Food Noosa launched Australia’s FIRST Snail of Approval Program in 2017.
This recognition program aims to inspire producers, chefs, restaurant owners and food outlets to use and promote good, clean and fair ingredients from our local area.
Businesses can be recognised if they are making efforts to produce food which is good, clean and fair.
- GOOD: seasonal, local, quality, flavoursome and healthy food
- CLEAN: sustainable production with low impact on the environment
- FAIR: accessible prices for consumers and fair conditions and pay for producers and staff/workers
Benefits to your business
This recognition scheme includes the following benefits:
- Snail of Approval decal to be displayed at your place of business
- Use of the Slow Food Noosa Snail of Approval logo on your menus and/or publicity materials in accordance with our guidelines
- Listing on the Slow Food Noosa website directory of recognised businesses
- Your business displayed as a recognised Snail of Approval recipient on a number of Food Trails featured in the region (to be confirmed and subject to print runs)
- Included in the International directory of Slow Food producers and eateries – Slow Food Planet mobile application.
- Slow Food operates in over 150 different countries, so tourists, especially those from Europe, other parts of Australia, Asia and North America, realize the significance of the snail and often choose to patronize establishments that comply with Slow Food principles.
Who can apply?
Businesses that support the philosophy of Good, Clean and Fair food that are based in the area between Caloundra and Tin Can Bay and out to the Mary Valley (loosely). Nominations can come from growers, restaurants, cafes, food artisans, retail outlets. Successful applicants must be, or make application to be, members of Slow Food Noosa.
What does it cost?
Good news! The application process is free.
It is expected that successful applicants support the Slow Food movement by becoming (or already are) members of Slow Food Noosa.
The Snail of Approval is a recognition program for food producers, artisans, retail outlets, restaurants and cafes that demonstrate a philosophy of adopting earth friendly practices. These might include reduction in the use of chemicals, use of local and low food mile ingredients, preserving vanishing animal breeds and plant varieties, animal friendly practices, support of small producers, striving to create food that is Good, Clean and Fair.
Importantly the Snail of Approval award recognises effort and intent, and should not be seen as an accreditation for any of these areas.
The Snail of Approval program recognises that adoption of these practices fall on a continuum and is not a recognition of perfection. It is envisaged that once in the Snail of Approval program, businesses will find opportunities for improvement towards Good, Clean and Fair food for all.